History of Kershaw Evangelical Presbyterian Church
The Kershaw Presbyterian Church was organized on May 24, 1891, with 16 charter members. In 1893 an old Baptist church building was purchased and moved to the corner of Matson and Marion Streets. The Kershaw Presbyterians worshiped there until 1917 when the building was sold to the Baptists of the Mill Section of Town. For the next three years the congregation worshiped in the Methodist Church or the Public School Building.
The present sanctuary building was completed in 1920 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1951 and again in 2000 the sanctuary was renovated and redecorated. The Education Building was built in 1940.
In 1980 the congregation purchased the Alva Bell residence, next door, to the house in Kershaw Community Clothes Closet (This organization is now known as Kershaw Area Resource Exchange (KARE)). This organization used the building until May 1991 when it outgrew the facility. The building no longer exists.
In 1986 the John T. Stevens Foundation made it possible for the church to acquire the former telephone company building, now known as the Stevens Building (directly behind the sanctuary). The Pastor's Study, other office space, small meeting rooms, and a small kitchen can be found here.
After nearly three years of prayer and study, on January 12, 2014 the Congregation of the Church voted to request dismissal from the PCUSA to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. On March 7, 2014 the Kershaw Church was accepted as a Transitional Member of the EPC, pending dismissal from Providence Presbytery PCUSA. Providence Presbytery voted to dismiss the Kershaw Church to the EPC on March 13, 2014. On June 1, 2014 Presbytery of the Mid Atlantic EPC formally received the Kershaw Presbyterian Church as a member of the EPC.
Many opportunities for worship, Bible Study, and fellowship are available to church members. These include Sunday morning worship and Sunday school, Sunday evening Praise and Prayer, Bibles Studies, Men of the Church, Women of the Church (Mamie Rice Circle), and adult choirs. Covered dish meals are enjoyed by the Church family many times each year.